Notary Process UpdateJuly 29th, 2020
As of July 29th, 2020, notary applicants can now upload their required documents to the Lt. Governor’s Office via the online portal found at notary.utah.gov.
Applicants will be directed to the portal after taking and passing the Notary exam to upload their Oath of Office, Bond, and verify their application information. All other steps to the application process remain the same.
Your Certificate of Authority will be emailed to you after the required documents are submitted and processed by the Office of the Lt. Governor.
Below are the updated steps for becoming a notary in the state of Utah or visit our process and qualifications tab here.
- Step 1: Study for the Test
- Step 2: Create your account
- Click this link to enter your personal information. This step is necessary in creating your application and also to be able to start the test. Please make sure you meet the qualifications listed above before beginning.
- Once you have completed the account creation process you will be directed to begin the test.
- Step 3: Take — Pay for — Pass the Test
- After taking the test, immediately be ready to pay the testing and administration fee of $95*. Once you pay, your test is automatically submitted and the results are immediate.
- If you fail you get your results and then you must pay an additional testing fee of $40 each time until you pass the test. (Note: this offer will only be good for 30 days from the date of the first test.)
- Step 4: Mandatory Background Check
- Once you have taken the test, you will be directed to submit a mandatory background check. As of November 1st, 2019, all Notary Public applications in the State of Utah must submit a background check.
- You will not be notified when your background check has been processed so please continue with the process without the results.
- Step 5 Obtain Your $5,000, Notarial Bond
- For information about obtaining the Notarial Bond, click here.
- Step 6 Get Your Oath of Office Notarized
- Your Oath of Office typically comes with your bond, if it doesn’t click here
- Step 7 Upload and Submit the Required Documents
- Double-check the information on your application page. Your certificate of Authority of Notary Public will be emailed to the email address listed on your application)
- Original Bond
- Notarized Oath of Office
- If you need to submit any additional explanation of crimes committed, please upload a separate document containing the explanations.
Please call (801) 538-1041 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the update and the new process.